A vast majority of fire-related deaths in North America happen at home. There is no better time to bring attention to this problem and it’s solution than during this year’s Home Fire Sprinkler Day. Home Fire Sprinkler Day was a project initiated by NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative, the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition and the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition-Canada. This project tasks fire sprinkler advocates across North America with hosting events on the same day that promote home fire sprinklers.
Benefits of Home Sprinklers
It has been proven time and time again that home fire sprinklers save lives and property. Below are some surprising statistics according to NFPA’s “U.S. Experience with Sprinklers” report:
- The civilian death rate was 81 percent lower in homes with fire sprinklers than in homes without them.
- The average firefighter injury rate was nearly 80 percent lower when fire sprinklers were present during fires.
- When sprinklers were present, fires were kept to the room of origin 97 percent of the time.
- The home fire death rate was 90 percent lower when fire sprinklers and hardwired smoke alarms were present. By comparison, this death rate is only 18 percent lower when battery-powered smoke alarms are present but automatic extinguishing systems weren’t.
The benefits that come with having home fire sprinklers make you wonder why they aren’t in every house on the market. Let’s take a look at the cost of home sprinklers.
Cost of Home Sprinklers
According to the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition, the national average for installing automatic fire sprinklers in new homes is $1.35 per sprinklered square foot. Let’s put that figure into perspective:
- Carpet Upgrades: Between $2.00 – $100.00 per square yard.
- Whirlpool Bath Upgrade Cost: $600 – $15,000 depending on features.
- Granite Countertops Upgrade Cost: $50 – $60 per square foot plus installation fees.
A house fire can ruin a home and end lives in a matter of minutes, see the tremendous difference home fire sprinklers make in the progression of a fire in the video provided below. As a Firefighter Supply Store and Fire Apparatus Manufacturer, we ask you to help us raise awareness that home fire sprinklers can protect our homes, families, and firefighters. For more information on Home Fire Sprinkler Day, please visit the NFPA website.